Re: Barge Cement v. silicone

armprem

I have found that Weldbond contact cement to be very useful for most applications.It is water based ,non-toxic and relatively inexpensive.While it may not work with some of the more exotic plastics it works well with resin and is very good for attaching weights without any danger of warping.Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Kirkham" <rdkirkham@shaw.ca>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 10:58 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Barge Cement v. silicone

While I am intrigued by barge cement and intend to give it a try for some
modelling uses, I use silicone sealer (clear stuff for bathrooms) to hold
down car weights (large nuts). It had occurred to me as I was using it that
it gave off quite the fumes, and perhaps they too could damage the styrene
kits or resin kits I'd use it on? But I guessed that given I have seen it
recommended for this purpose, the fumes may not be of a solvent that attacks
styrene. Is that right - or wrong? So far I have no damage in the cars
where it was used....

As to its holding ability, I don't use it merely as a glue, but to form a
mechanical restraint on the nuts as well - some up the centre where the bolt
threads and plenty round the sides so that the silicone would have to fail
in order for those nuts to come loose. I tend to coat the whole interior
of the floor, so its hardened shape is rectangular to the dimensions of the
cavity, and perhaps an 1.8 inch thick at the edges, thicker at the nuts. Is
there anyone with experience using the stuff who can say that it won't last
into the long run?

Rob Kirkham

Yahoo! Groups Links