Soph Marty's slides

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

I'm going to give the long version of this story to keep it in the
group's context.
A few years ago my friend Jim Hunt borrowed Soph Marty's slide
collection and scanned what Jim thought were his best slides. He
burnt over two thousand of them onto CDs for himself and friends
(me). After receiving permission from Soph I sent many freight car
jpegs to John at RPI to add to his website. Later Soph got his own
scanner and began scanning slides and emailing them out. He had
different groups including freight cars. Soph stopped as his health
deteriorated. Soph passed away earlier this summer. Sunday there was
a local memorial service. Many of his modeler/railfan friends
attended. Soph's son will get the slides.
Here's the purpose of this post. He wants to scan the entire
collection (thousands of slides). Money to buy a batch scanner isn't
a problem, he has volunteers to do the scanning and the archives
department at the local library will administer the collection. BUT,
he wants to also scan the slide mount too. Soph could print very tiny
(weird for a doctor) and put lots of info on the slide mounts. His
son is afraid once the scans start pinging around in cyberspace the
info and credit will be lost. First, does anyone know of a way to
scan the slide mount and keep it attached to the slide? Second, does
anyone know of a better way to keep the slide info and credit with
the image?
Feel free to contact me off list with good suggestions.

When I said Jim scanned what he thought were the best slides doesn't
mean the best slides. Soph took hundreds of slides of the NKP
Berkshires. The best of which Soph sold to Blackhawk and used the
money to buy more film. Anyway, Jim doesn't like steam, but he only
scanned a few of the Berks. Jim likes shinny diesels so I think he
scanned every NKP diesel Soph ever shot.

With Soph's passing I thought it would be nice to pay tribute to him
by showing his slides at the `Desert feeding frenzy' Friday evening
during the Naperville meet. I made the suggestion to Martin. He had
either already made arrangement or doesn't realize the quality of
Soph's collection, because he passed on the opportunity. Those of you
who will be attending the meet and know this collection please put a
bug in Martin's ear to show it next year. Yes, I there will be ample
freight cars in the mix.
Thank you,
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa