Re: Soph Marty's slides

Brad Bower <bradley.bower@...>

Dear Mr. Propst

Having read your post today regarding the need to archive film images into digital files may I make several suggestions.

Firstly my background: I am Brad Bower a photojournalist in Philadelphia, formerly staff at the Philadelphia Daily News , currently a freelancer shooting for the NYT, Bloomberg News, USA- Today and the Reuters News service. I am quite well versed with handling images in the film and digital domain.

When you take the time as you are to scan these images from the original film, B&W or color transparencies or color negatives always scan at the highest resolution to preserve the highest quality master JPEG file. 300 DPI, 8"x10'' with at least 8-10 Megs size. This will allow you make reproduction quality hard copy prints as well as re- tasking the images into 72 DPI files for viewing on a computer or online. If you scan a low resolution, example a 72 DPI file, you do not have a master that is robust enough to make a good quality hard copy print or re-task it into a 300 DPI file. Rule of thumb make the biggest master file possible, you can always make a copy smaller. Once a master file is created burn it to a DVD, never use it except to create a copy of the image to work on, that way you can never inadvertently destroy it. I know there is a cost to creating and saving large image files but once done you have an archive for eternity.

I recommend using professional editing software such as PhotoShop CSII (PhotoShop Elements doesn't cut it). It is a robust program which can facilitate all your picture editing needs. Firstly, you can copyright the images in PhotoShop using the watermark filter, which can never be altered or abused, do this only with the copy files never the master file. Secondly the data on the slide mounts may be saved with each image by opening the file info: ITPC caption, this captioning capability imbeds the copy within the image for all time. Each copy of the image has the caption within its data, ITPC caption is a standard within the industry. I know of no method to scan the slide mount and the film image.

I trust this may be of some help in your efforts to secure the collection of images into a digital archive. The hard work will be the reward of saving pieces of history for the next generation.

Sincerely

Bradley C Bower