Re: care of freight car film (was Soph Marty's slides)

Richard White

Tim O'Connor asked:
"Can slides be washed? I know some prints can be washed with
distilled water, but can you wash the slides or negatives?"

YES - use distilled water. If greasy fingerprints need to be removed, add a little detergent of a (usually cheap) brand without Lanolin or other additive. Rinse repeatedly in several changes of distilled water and dry in air.

This has worked for me in cleaning Kodachrome slides which had been handled by children. They are still in good order nearly 20 years later.

Richard White