Re: B&O Freight Car Red

boyds1949 <E27ca@...>

The PRRT&HS printed reproductions of the Bowles Color Drift Control
cards for a variety of PRR colors back in 1992. These colors were
printed, not actual paint chips like the original. Perhaps us B&O
folks could find someone with the PRR group who could give us some
tips on printing reproduction cards.

That said, the PRRT&HS reproduction card for the PRR Red Freight Car
Paint dated October, 1952 is a fairly dark red-brown which would look
very dark under most of our indoor lighting. Did PRR change their
freight car color from a lighter color to this darker red-brown in
the early 1950's.

John King

jim_mischke wrote:
And for the billionth time, the digital guys promise the moon and
deliver nothing. It's like Lucy conning Charlie Brown to kick
the
football one more time.
The B&OHS and I will find a way to publish these B&O colors on
the
drift cards in hardcopy for everyone. Don't be surprised if it
does
not involve a computer at all.
Jim, I don't understand your negativity. We included PFE
color
drift panels in the PFE book by scanning them, and adjusting at
print
time (with help from the printer's technical people). Both Bob
Church
and I were at the printer and looked at sheets as they came off the
press, and compared them in a "true light" booth with the original
chips. The final match was excellent. Why can you not do the same?

Publishers of books on railroad history