Re: Box Cars In Grain Service

jaley <jaley@...>

On Aug 11, 11:11am, Anthony Thompson wrote:
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Box Cars In Grain Service
Jeff Aley wrote:
How does a RR clerk know that a given car is "Class A" instead
of "Class D" (for hide loading only)?
Stick his head inside the door?
Tony,

I've thought about this, and I'm still not sure if you're joking.
On the one hand, I have to remember that railroading (and everything
else) was VERY labor-intensive during the steam-era.

On the other hand, it is hard to imagine a clerk or clerks
inspecting every single empty boxcar that moved through UP's yard in
Kansas City, and that therefore might be confiscated for grain service.
The first problem would be getting the doors open (from ground
level). I suppose the guys were very strong, and if the door wouldn't
open, they'd Bad Order the car (?).

Regards,

-Jeff

--