Re: new Accurail cars

Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote:

Dead-on accurate? Probably not, and we won't know for sure until we
see the model's ends. If they follow the AAR recommended practice
drawings, they'll be pre-war Dreadnaught ends, whereas that C&NW 70 ton
cars and other postwar versions all had Improved Dreadnaught ends.

Richard Hendrickson
Not quite, Richard. The C&NW and subsidiary Omaha Road (CMO) had
several orders of similar cars; information and photos of all are
presented in an article by Jeffrey Koeller in the May 2005 issue of
Mainline Modeler. The detail breakdown is as follows:

SERIES ORDERED ENDS
CNW 70501-71999 odd 11/44 Reversed DN
CNW 69701-70499 odd 9/45 Reversed DN
CMO 88101-88899 odd 9/45 Reversed DN
CNW 130701-131699 odd 8/48 IDE
CMO 88901-89199 odd 8/48 IDE
CNW 75001-75399 odd 2/53 DN w/straps
CNW 5192-5691 inclusive 7/55 DN w/straps

There is additional info about the various lots being renumbered to
CNW 97001-101157 odd in 1965-66.

The photos show the "DN w/straps" car ends are indeed early pattern
Dreadnaught ends with two flat steel straps added to their outer
faces. I know this seems late for a new application of this end, but
that's how it is.

The "reversed DN" ends are what some have called "bifurcated" ends in
the past, this is really just how the side of the dreadnaught pressing
you normally don't see looks. Since our kit will have separate ends
that model both the inner and outer contours, it will be interesting
to see if anyone modifies them to install them inside-out to model
these cars.

The IDE ends may be able to be had from the ends DA made for their GS
gon; I haven't checked the dimensions. In reality, the difference
between Dreadnaught and IDE ends is not very noticeable on gons,
since either end had the same number of ribs in the same space, unlike
a boxcar.

We used a car number for a car that should have reversed ends on the
Trainfest special because in general the car looks more like our
model: The cars that actually had normal early pattern Dreadnaught
ends (with straps) also had noticeably extra heavy stakes near the
center of the car. The earlier cars don't have these, and so therefore
look more like our model. The end ladder and hand brake on these is
also more like our model. One difference we simply can't accommodate
is the fact that the side sheathing ended high on the side sill, with
the sill showing below it, on ALL the CNW/CMO cars. However, with two
rivet strips along the bottom of our car side, the lower could be
removed and a line scribed just below the upper to depict this feature.

Dennis Storzek
Accurail, Inc.