toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
I know we've disagreed about this before, and I certainly respect your scientific knowledge. However, my father used to melt lead tire weights just as described. He was later diagnosed with lead poisoning.
I don't think melting lead is a good idea at all, and if it is done at all, it should be outside as described in the post.
Garth G. Groff
Anthony Thompson wrote:
Rich Orr wrote:
Go to your local garage and ask them to keep the weights they remove from wheels for you. If you don't mind the potential exposure and keep any kids away, you can melt the wheel weights and pour the molten lead into sheets. Just avoid breathing the fumes. It is best to do this outside. Sound advice, because there are things like antimony in the lead that aren't good for you. But should you worry about the lead? In reality, the vapor pressure of liquid lead is extremely low. There will not be enough lead vapor that it could even be measured, unless you have a spectrograph. (Of course, I don't recommend leaning over the bath and breathing deeply from right above the melt.)
Dept. of Materials Science & Engineering
University of California, Berkeley