Re: Coins as car weights

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Larry,

Good point, but no, my father never smoked in his life. Maybe that's why he's almost 91.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Ljack70117@comcast.net wrote:

Did he smoke while melting lead. That will do you in in a hurry.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
Boca Raton FL
ljack70117@comcast.net
I was born with nothing and
I have most of it left

On Aug 15, 2007, at 7:03 AM, Garth G. Groff wrote:

Tony,

I know we've disagreed about this before, and I certainly respect your
scientific knowledge. However, my father used to melt lead tire weights
just as described. He was later diagnosed with lead poisoning.

I don't think melting lead is a good idea at all, and if it is done at
all, it should be outside as described in the post.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Anthony Thompson wrote:

Rich Orr wrote:

Go to your local garage and ask them to keep the weights they remove
from wheels for you. If you don't mind the potential exposure and
keep any kids away, you can melt the wheel weights and pour the molten
lead into sheets. Just avoid breathing the fumes. It is best to do
this outside.

Sound advice, because there are things like antimony in the lead
that aren't good for you. But should you worry about the lead? In
reality, the vapor pressure of liquid lead is extremely low. There will
not be enough lead vapor that it could even be measured, unless you
have a spectrograph. (Of course, I don't recommend leaning over the
bath and breathing deeply from right above the melt.)

Anthony Thompson
Dept. of Materials Science & Engineering
University of California, Berkeley
thompsonmarytony@sbcglobal.net

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links