Re: Coins as car weights

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Garth G. Groff wrote:
I know we've disagreed about this before, and I certainly respect your scientific knowledge. However, my father used to melt lead tire weights just as described. He was later diagnosed with lead poisoning.
Handling lead with bare hands gets the oxide onto your skin, and may get it into your mouth or nose. I'd worry about that part, not about the lead vapor.
Please do not think I was saying lead is harmless or that you can treat it cavalierly. Care is needed.
And by the way, Garth, if your father is 91 the lead must not have been TOO bad for him <meant in jest, of course>.

Publishers of books on railroad history