car classes

rockroll50401 <cepropst@...>

Jim Singer sent me a copy of an article about a major industry where I
live. The brick and tile operation used Class D and E cars. The article
was about how they were trying to prevent damage in box cars. I have
Milwaukee damage claim reports from the mid 50s and there are plenty of
tile damage claims. One of their concerns was bowed ends. They used
straw or hay as packing, they were looking at alternatives like chip
board and palletizing when possible. I believe the article date is 54
or 55. This company shipped 5000 carloads of clay products a year from
5 Iowa plants.
Clark Propst