Re: Trainman 70 ton Triple Hoppers

Rich C

The Southern car is riveted. On the model there are no
rivets that attach the bays to the sides however. Also
missing on the model are the poling pockets.

Tim you are right the model is slightly longer than
the drawing. Oh well, gonna build it anyway, its close
enough.

Rich Christie

--- Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@comcast.net> wrote:

Jim Eager wrote to MFCL 7-June-2005 about this
model:
... basically a remake of the MDC 9-panel, which
was never
great and definitely long in the tooth, but it
looks to be
welded. If so, then C&EI/MP (longer), D&RGW
(longer), MKT,
TNM, and TP/MP are it. If riveted then B&O, C&O,
C&EI, C&I,
CG, CRR, FEC, GTW, M&StL, RDG, StLBE, and WM,
although some
of those had arched or peaked ends.

Tom Haag then wrote:
I then compared it to drawings of a Southern AAR
hopper car
that were in the 12/90 issue of MM. The Atlas car
was about
a foot and a half longer that the car in the
drawing.

Next I reread J. Eager's article on AAR 3-bay,
nine-panel
hoppers in the 6/95 issue of RMJ. The article
stated that
the Southern cars were a foot longer than the
typical AAR
recommended design. Uh oh.

Finally the article said that the M&StL cars were
two feet
longer than the typical car. Hmmmm.

So it appears that Atlas used a non-typical
prototype to
model the AAR standard 9-panel hopper car.

So fans of the M&StL (and perhaps D&RGW and C&EI)
may be
happy but modelers of RDG, CR, WM, CRR, C&O, C&I,
CB&Q,
NH and others won't be.

No one has said -- is the model riveted or welded?
Were the
Southern cars riveted, or welded?

Tim O'Connor

James D Thompson wrote:

The Atlas car is basically a hybrid
welded/riveted car that AC&F built for
C&O in the early and mid-1950s. The Stewart cars
were: a late-1950s NYC
ribside triple adopted as an alternate AAR
standard; the PRR-C&O-N&W
consortium car; and the AAR offset-side triple
also recently done by Accurail.

David,

I respect your knowledge of hopper cars, but are
you sure about what you
stated? I just checked Al Kresse's book on C&O
hopper and gondolas and
cannot find any 70-ton C&O hoppers with the longer
inside length as
modeled by the Atlas Trainman series hopper. As I
stated in my earlier
post the Atlas triple hopper appears closest in
dimensions to the one
ACF advertised in the 1953 Car Builders'
Cyclopedia. The Atlas model
represents a triple hopper that is sightly longer
(IL 42'-8") than the
ones built by ACF (IL 40'-6") or Bethlehem and
others (IL 40'-8"). All
have of height of 10'-8" from the top of the rail
to the top of the
side.

Bob Witt
Indianapolis, Indiana