Re: 65 ft. gons

Gatwood, Elden J SAD <Elden.J.Gatwood@...>

Ed;

They carried everything their brethren did, although the railroads tended to
assign them a bit more to services appropriate for what they bought them for.

Structural steel included flanged beams, channel, ship channel, elevator bar,
bar stock, "Z"s, "T"s, "U" channels (deeper than regular channel), as well as
intermediate semi-finished product like blooms, billets, ingots, stools and
molds, and cold and hot sheet (see burned looking PRR G26 in Color Guide 3).

Intended usage was stock over 50' in length, but they often got loads shorter
than that, too.

I have photos of them also in scrap service, limestone, sand, gravel, and any
number of manufactured products.

Steel slabs were also a favorite, stacked 5 or 6 high with spacer dunnage,
tilted to make them lean against a side. There are a couple neat photos Rich
Burg has of a shifted slab load in a G26. Neat.

I have never seen a photo of a pre-assembled tower, as they would likely be
too big; but I have seen loads I thought might be the parts used on something
like that, as well as parts for overhead cranes, long pressure vessels,
bridge parts, girders, and other really long stuff overhanging the ends. The
Bethlehem Steel photo collection is great for this, as they were really proud
of what they could assemble and ship.

Elden Gatwood