From: Richard Hendrickson
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Overland Models Tank Cars

On Aug 20, 2007, at 5:51 PM, Kurt Laughlin wrote:

> I came across an ad for Overland Models from '93 or so showing a
> number of tank cars:
>
> COLX 1068 "Western Asphalt", insulated 10,000 gal
> GATX 1929, insulated 10,000 gal
> SHPX 4035 "Cities Service", insulated 10,000 gal
> USAX 10936 "United States Army", labeled as insulated but clearly
> uninsulated
> GATX 62983 "Schenectady Chemicals", labeled as uninsulated but
> clearly insulated 8,000 gal w/platform
> DUPX 2690 "DuPont", labeled as uninsulated but clearly insulated
> 8,000 gal w/platform
> PAX 359 "Pennzoil", insulated 3-comp w/larger center dome
> DRX 2148 "Deep-Rock", insulated 3-comp w/larger center dome
>
> Do these match real cars? In particular, what about the Pennzoil car?
> When was it in service?

General Warning: Some of the Overland tank car models of that vintage
are correct, but many were painted and lettered in bogus paint schemes,
often based on photos of vaguely similar cars in various issues of the
Car Builders' Cyclopedias Don't trust any of them in the absence of
documentary evidence.

I know the Western Asphalt car is correct, as I supplied the data on
which the model was based. The reporting marks were CDLX, however
(California Despatch Line), an error that OL also made in the decals
for this model (though it's fairly easy to correct).

The model identified as GATX 1929 may be correct for the GATX cars of
the late 1920s, but the number is bogus. GATC used to paint and letter
demo cars with the year of their construction as the car number, but of
course those cars never went into revenue service with those numbers.

SHPX leased 10K gal. insulated Type 27s to Cities Service; there's a
photo of SHPX 4039 in the 1940 CBC. But I don't know how accurately
the model represents this prototype.

> USAX 10936 "United States Army", labeled as insulated but clearly
> uninsulated

The cars in this series were standard GATC Type 30 10K gal. ICC-103s.

> GATX 62983 "Schenectady Chemicals", labeled as uninsulated but
> clearly insulated 8,000 gal w/platform
> DUPX 2690 "DuPont", labeled as uninsulated but clearly insulated
> 8,000 gal w/platform

Photo of DUPX 2656 in the 1937 CBC.

> PAX 359 "Pennzoil", insulated 3-comp w/larger center dome
> DRX 2148 "Deep-Rock", insulated 3-comp w/larger center dome

The model represented a GATX car that was in bulk wine service in the
late 1960s (I provided the photos and data for that one, too). The
larger center dome indicated that the prototype had been converted from
a single compartment to a three compartment car and kept its original
center dome; GATC had numerous three compartment cars, both insulated
and non-insulated, that had been converted in that fashion. But DRX
2148 wasn't a GATC car, it was a car built by the Pressed Steel Car Co.
for North American and leased to Deep Rock in the late 1920s and early
'30s by North American. There's a photo of DRX 2157 in the 1931 CBC.
The Pennzoil model is entirely bogus. Pennzoil operated a sizable
fleet of tank cars in the 1920s but, like many private owners, sold its
tank cars in favor of leasing cars when the economic bad times of the
depression came along, and the PAX cars disappeared from the ORERs ca.
1931. In any case, only four of them were three compartment cars and
none of those were insulated.

Richard Hendrickson