Re: DS/SS split, April 1949; CNW, GN, CB&Q

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 27, 2007, at 12:20 PM, toddsyr wrote:

Armand Premo wrote:

"Could it have been a concession to the on-line lumber industry?"

If I'm not mistaken, I read that very fact stated on this list at one
time. Makes sense to me.

Todd K. Stearns
No, Todd, you didn't see that stated as a fact here, you saw it stated
as an inference, which is not at all the same thing. It has often been
inferred (by myself as well as numerous others) that the GN persisted
in building wood sheathed box cars as a public relations gesture toward
its many timber shippers. However, I am not aware that any
documentation has turned up which confirms that inference. It makes
sense to me, too, but there's no hard evidence.

Richard Hendrickson