Re: DS/SS split, April 1949; CNW, GN, CB&Q

Tim O'Connor

The NP owned significant timberlands thanks to land grants.
So add that to the sauce of speculation.... (Surely NP was in a
position to save money by using wood products. Let alone the
idea they were trying to placate their customers.)

No, Todd, you didn't see that stated as a fact here, you saw it stated
as an inference, which is not at all the same thing. It has often been
inferred (by myself as well as numerous others) that the GN persisted
in building wood sheathed box cars as a public relations gesture toward
its many timber shippers. However, I am not aware that any
documentation has turned up which confirms that inference. It makes
sense to me, too, but there's no hard evidence.
Richard Hendrickson