Re: Link for color freight car photos from the 1940's

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bruce Smith wrote:
Whereas my favorite shot (which I have posted here before) shows a
really trashed B&O M26, an equally trashed gon (D&H?) a nearly new
NYC paint job and a moderately weathered Erie car.

http://www.shorpy.com/images/photos/1a34787u.jpg
Yes, I remember studying this one too. One of its challenges is the two box cars visible behind the gon: the W&LE and the IC. Both are dark with dirt, yet their lettering is quite visible. This is probably the well-known "chalking" behavior and it isn't at all trivial to model. The only way, probably, is to weather somewhat both before and after decaling.

Publishers of books on railroad history