WWII arms depots Re: Re: PRR gun flats

boyds1949 <E27ca@...>

Follow-up to earler message. The same B&O book had some data on the
Ravenna Ordnance Center indicating that the traffic was split evenly
between B&O, PRR, and Erie with the following carloads per month
(probably August)in 1951. B&O, 139 outbound and 62 inbound; PRR,
104 outbound and 88 inbound; and Erie 147 outbound and 43 inbound.
Outbound revenue in August 1951 was four times the revenue in August
of 1950, probably a reflection of the needs in Korea. No indicatin
of the types of cars handled.

John King

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "boyds1949" <E27ca@...> wrote:

Victor,

Thanks. Interesting.

For a one year period (either 1950 or part 1950, part 1951) B&O put
289 loads in and took 126 out. A B&O operating data book says they
were loading small arms ammunition at that time. That book does not
indicate the traffic on other lines. I drove back in the place a
few
years ago and you could see abandoned buildings with the type of
assembly lines I've seen used to assemble artillery shells in old
documentries.

John

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "wabash2813" <vbaird@> wrote:

As you may know Bruce and John, some of these depots were planned
or in
operation right before we got directly involved in WWII, even
before
Pearl Harbor--supplying our European allies. I have a proposed
track
diagram of the Kingsbury, Indiana Ordnance Depot layout dated
1939
or
1940, I believe. The Wabash, B&O, NKP and maybe the GTW serviced
this
location. I say maybe, because a connection is shown but a Wabash
railroader I interviewed only recalls the GTW during construction
and
not when it was in full operation. The depot had their own motive
power
(center cab internal combustion locos) but once in a while, other
then
setting cars out or picking them up on a wye track, a Wabash
local
might enter the Depot. My conductor friend recalls the ordnance
the
Wabash picked up during this time period going east by way of
Detroit
and Canada. (The Kingsbury Ordnance Depot was located on the
Wabash
4th
District between Montpelier, Ohio and Chicago.) I don't recall
the
exact safety measure now but he told me that trains were required
have the ordnance cars x number of cars behind the loco or in
front
of
the caboose. But this was not always possible with the local.

Victor Baird
Fort Wayne, Indiana