From: Bruce Smith
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 5:40 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] My Errors & Omissions

On Aug 28, 2007, at 1:04 AM, Anthony Thompson wrote:

> Bruce Smith wrote:
>> Finally, there was also a depot for these guns in Hawthorne Nevada.
>
> Yes, the Naval Ammunition Depot, as it was called at that
> time.
> This was accessed from the SP's Mina Branch. Bruce, do you have any
> idea how extensively Hawthorne was used for naval gun tubes?

Tony,

Alas, not a clue. I'm not even sure that Hawthorne was used during
WWII, however I think it was as an ATSF routing for guns makes no
sense if they are going to Pocatello or Bremerton <G>. I do know
that several listers here pointed out that Hawthorne was the last
storage depot for the battleship guns. I believe that when they were
recommissioned, Hawthorne was the source of new gun tubes and that a
number of guns were cut up on site within about the last 30 years or so.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL