Re: DS in Grain Service

Russ Strodtz <borneo@...>

Armand,

Basic problem there is they were expensive and most
roads did not provide them to very many Agencies or
Yard Offices. There would probably be a copy in a
large billing department but nobody there was checking
any cars or dispositioning any empties.

There is also a time factor here. You got a crew standing
there waiting to start switching and you are looking up
cars in an ORER? Not likely. This stuff was all "On the
job training", you either picked it up or you didn't.
Many didn't and generally went to jobs where they did not
need to check cars or disposition empties.

At the particular location I was referring to there were a
Leverman and a Clerk each shift. Many times half way thru
a physical check the handwriting would change. There was
no need for the Leverman to know anything about car types.
I have been told that as the CTC was installed in the 50's
many of these Levermen left the Railroad rather than learn
Agency work. There were other roads still looking to staff
towers. I almost switched Railroads once but not over that
issue.

Russ

Quess this is just another reason for consulting an ORER.
Armand Premo