Re: DS in Grain Service

Thomas Baker

In interviews I have had with the operators of grain elevators on the old Chicago Great Western in Minnesota, I walked away with the impression that the grain elevators would have been happy with any clean car they could obtain, double-sheathed or not. One former grain elevator operator told me that much seemed dependent on how friendly one was with the conductor of the train. If the conductor was favorable, a clean car showed up from somewhere as soon as possible. If not, well, one waited. Perhaps this man was just spouting his resentment at his bad luck or fact.

Tom