Re: DS cars in grain service

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 29, 2007, at 8:30 AM, Malcolm Laughlin wrote:

In all my times of association with the car distribution process, I
don't recall ever seeing an order that said anything about type of
sheathing. That was not part of the readily available information
about a car. If it's40 ft. box with no leaks in the roof, sides or
floor, no visible contamination (e.g.grease,oil) and it has six foot
doors, it's a grain car.
Good grief! I leave home for a couple of days and my observation that
granger railroads preferred double sheathed to single sheathed USRA box
cars prompted a largely irrelevant discussion of car distribution.
Obviously Malcolm's last sentence is correct. But the preference of
many RRs for double sheathed box cars had nothing to do with car
distribution. It was simply a conviction, whether correct or
incorrect, that double sheathed cars were more likely to remain
weatherproof in service, and thus usable for grain shipments.

Richard Hendrickson