Re: DS in Grain Service

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 30, 2007, at 4:44 PM, Russ Strodtz wrote:

Basic problem there is they (ORERS) were expensive and most
roads did not provide them to very many Agencies or
Yard Offices. There would probably be a copy in a
large billing department but nobody there was checking
any cars or dispositioning any empties.
I'n not sure what RRs or time periods Russ is generalizing
(over-generalizing?) about here, but in the late 1940s and early 1950s,
when I spent a lot of time hanging around the Santa Fe and Southern
Pacific in California, every agent, even at small stations, had a
current copy of the ORER and used it. I well remember the agent at
Oceanside walking the yard every morning, clip board in hand, and
consulting the ORER in his office, if he needed to, regarding any of
the cars in the yard, especially cars in assigned service (e.g. U.S.
Navy ammunition cars) which had to be returned to their point of
origin.

Richard Hendrickson