Re: Chateau Martin Wine Cars

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Richard,

Thanks much. There were (probably still are) several large bulk wineries on the Tidewater Southern (now UP). So I based on what you say, Chateau Martin wine cars might have been regular visitors. Any such cars would have been turned over to the WP at Stockton and would likely have gone east via the WP/D&RGW/CB&Q. I've never seen a photo of a Chateau Martin car on the WP, but there are still lots of surprises to be found there.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

On Aug 31, 2007, at 4:38 AM, Garth G. Groff wrote:

Did the TS serve a Chateau Martin winery?
I'm not aware that CM owned a winery in Tidewater Southern territory, but it wouldn't have mattered. CM bought cheap wines in bulk wherever they could get them, shipped them east, and bottled them under their own label for sale to those who were interested in what the Brits call "plonk." Premium wines from California, which are now recognized as world class, were not, at that time, widely distributed in other parts of the country, and in any case were notably absent from CM's marketing plan.

Richard Hendrickson