Re: DS in Grain Service

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Posted by: "Thomas Baker" In interviews I have had with the operators of grain elevators on the old Chicago Great Western in Minnesota, I walked away with the impression that the grain elevators would have been happy with any clean car they could obtain, double-sheathed or not. One former grain elevator operator told me that much seemed dependent on how friendly one was with the conductor of the train. If the conductor was favorable, a clean car showed up from somewhere as soon as possible. If not, well, one waited. Perhaps this man was just spouting his resentment at his bad luck or fact.

That statement seems rather curious and provokes me to ask a few questions. How did the conductor know which car was really clean ? How many conductors opened box car doors so that they could pick a clean car for the friendly elevator operator ? When he was being paid on mileage, that was on his own time.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478