Re: C.D.L.X. tank car 10511

Richard Hendrickson

On Sep 2, 2007, at 9:48 PM, Dan Gledhill wrote:

Hello Again Richard,
Thanks for the information on CDLX 1051.I will have to go and take
another look at this car.
I'm pretty sure that it it has no heating piping in the ends of the
car,but may have some in the bottom ,toward the centre area.When the
local mill used it they stored bunker oil in it which requires heat in
order to pump it much as ashphalt would.This car also still retains
it's original K type brake cylinder and piping as it never left the
mill for around 50 years.It has no signs of ever being insulated and
all former logo and names were applied directly to the rivetted steel
plate side of the tank.It must have been shipped over U.P. lines as
there is the remnants of a servicing stencil on the frame for the year
of 1933 from that road.I will see what else I can find written on the
car.
Sincerely,Dan.Gledhill
Maintenance Engineer
Alberni Pacific Railway
Dan, the heater pipes installed by the California Despatch Line when
the cars were insulated had flanges on either side of the ends, and if
CDLX 1051 doesn't have those, then it wasn't one of the cars that was
insulated in the early 1940s. That it still has K brakes and a 1933
U.P. brake servicing stencil suggests that at some time in the 1930s it
was sold (perhaps written off by CDL owing to underframe or running
gear damage).

Richard Hendrickson