Re: Is what we're doing REAL history??

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Eric Hansmann wrote:
After a twenty minute presentation I turned to the group for questions. They were all pretty shocked at the quantity and quality of material presented to them from sources that were completely unknown to them.
I've also encountered this, Eric, when I used to run the "Railroad History" seminars at the NMRA National Conventions. Plenty of historians think railfans are all foamers, and modelers all a bunch of guys playing with trains. They are impressed that factual information DOES play a role in magazine and other publications. But since hobby publications rarely have citations to sources and are not peer reviewed, the historian tends to regard them as a quite feeble resource, really only a starting point to go after better information. I can't say I could disagree very strongly.

Publishers of books on railroad history