Re: C.D.L.X. tank car 1051,additional data

Richard Hendrickson

On Sep 4, 2007, at 10:14 PM, Dan Gledhill wrote:

Hello Richard,
Thanks again for the info.that you have provided,I am getting much
closer to finding out how CDLX 1051 looked before WW2.Would the 15
S.T.C.Co. cars leased to Star Refining & Producing Co.have been
painted silver and carry the Star name?
They might have, but in the absence of photographic evidence it's
impossible to tell.

I guess it is possible that the remnants of the name still on the car
was on there before CDLX received these cars.
Certainly possible. However, I am inclined to think that the fragments
of lettering that are still readable were on the car during the period
when it was owned and operated by CDLX.

This car as it exists now has absolutely no paint left on the tank and
just patches on the frameThe car though is generally complete with no
damage,just a lot of surface rust.The trucks ,which are in good shape
have the following cast in lettering.
''PAT.Jan 13,1914'' ''F-502 over one axle and ''6-20 S.T.C.Co.'' C-5
over the next axle.
This identifies the trucks as having been original, made for the
Standard Tank Car Co., and also establishes the date the car was built
as being in late 1920 or early 1921, shortly after the trucks were
delivered. That's a bit earlier than I would have guessed, but we now
know that the cars in the 1001-1052 series were a mixed bag of second
hand cars, their only commonality being their 10,000 gal. nominal
capacity and their ARA III classification, which indicates that they
were all built before 1927, when the ICC-103 designation took effect.

Earlier I had stated that it was stenciled in 1933 for the U.P.,but
after checking again the stencil reads as follows.'' REPKD A.T.6-6-37
U.P.R.R.''
AT was Albina Terminal, the UP's Portland, OR freight yard.

As well I was able to find on the lower sides of the tank the name
Los Angeles and further along about 12 ft. the name California.The
lettering for these names was about six inches high.
I guess this is really not much more to go on but hopefully it will
provide something of a clue ,as to this cars early appearance.
Collectively, the fragmentary evidence you report suggests to me that
this car was leased by CDLX to a Los Angeles area petroleum company
which shipped petroleum products to locations on the west coast, and
that the car was sold in the late 1930s, after the stenciled repack
date, to a logging company (perhaps because of some off-line damage to
the underframe or running gear such that CDLX wrote it off rather than
paying to have it repaired) and thereafter was not operated in
interchange. In any case, it certainly could not have been used in
interchange after 8/53, when AB air brakes were mandated. I have
photos which document California Dispatch Line's 1930s-vintage standard
paint and lettering, but none which suggest who the lessor oil company
might have been. Let me know if you discover any other evidence on the
car that might shed more light on this puzzle.

Richard Hendrickson