Re: Is what we're doing REAL history??

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

eric petersson wrote:
It's been my experience that when a professor refers to a colleague as a "popular" historian, it's a euphemism for 'a historian whose work is more well regarded than mine and I'm more than a little put out by that.'
Maybe; I'd say it usually means "someone who's less rigorous and serious than me, but whose books sell at an annoyingly high rate." Sometimes it means "someone who publishes a lot more than me and who MUST be cutting some corners somewhere."

There's a reason that a PhD is refered to piling it high and deep.
Get a grip, Eric. This remark is usually made by those who kinda wish THEY had one.

Publishers of books on railroad history