Re: What is a "granger railroad"?

Stokes John

Eric,

My understanding of the term as it is used in reference to railroads, is that it refers to the Mid West farming belt states, including Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Nebraska and Wisconsin and the railroads that operated there. I may have left one or two states out. Morning Sun has a book called "Trackside Around Granger Country" that chronicles the railroads in that area.

You are correct, granger comes from grange, which is a very old word meaning grain and ultimately, farm. See Wikipedia for interesting information. There is also a national organization of farmers and others who belong to the Grange, and organization from the 19th Century that fought against the railroad and banking monopolies and also were involved in abolition and women's suffrage. They were very strong in the midwest bread basket, and still are to some extent. They were also in the Northeast, in fact there is a neat photo of a Granger Hall in Maine on the Wiki site, would make a great model.

John Stokes
Bellevue, WA

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.comFrom: newyorkcentralfan@ureach.comDate: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 18:25:02 +0000Subject: [STMFC] Re: What is a "granger railroad"?

In regards to the granger donnybrook, could a railroad's being considered a granger be determined by having a large percentage of it's income earned by grain haulage be the way of determining as to wether they were a granger road or not?Eric Petersson