From: "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@worldnet.att.net>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2007 4:15 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Seaboard 1932 ARA box cars

Rob Kirkham wrote:
[From Ted Culotta's 1932 ARA boxcar book:]
"'However the truck centres were spaced at a distance of 31' - 2 3/4",
approximately six inches greater than the 30'-8 1/2" between truck
centres on the majority of the 1932 ARA cars.'
And at p.197, speaking of the next series of 1932 ARA design cars:
'Like the first 1000 cars, this group used truck centres spaced at a
distance of 31' - 2 3/4".'"

Al Brown replied:
"If the truck centers were 6" farther apart than normal, that indeed
suggests the kingpins were 3" closer to the car end. I stand by what
I said, though, about the appearance. Check out the side-on photos on
pp 200 (both), 203 (top), 204 (top). The wheels are visibly offset in
from the car end."

Rob, thanks for confirming the different spacing used on the SAL 1932
ARA boxcars. You will need to relocate the side sill tabs with the
bolsters. That's an easy enough fix - just fabricate the new tabs
from strip styrene and detail them with two Grandt Line or Tichy
rivets.

This does bring up another thing to verify - we need to check to see
if the Hundman drawings have the correct bolster locations.

Ben Hom

Yahoo! Groups Links