Re: Sealing auxiliary doors

Dean Payne

I have heard of the NKP making single door cars out of double door
cars by securing the auxiliary doors shut, as below. It occurred to
me "Now, why would they do that?" All the aux. doors can't be
failing... Perhaps during a major shopping a fleet of DD cars could
have new, single doors installed (particularly if wood doors were
replaced with corrugated steel doors, for example.) But, I can't
figure out why they would seal a door shut, reducing the versatility
of the car. The cars had already been rebuilt with steel sides and doors.

Dean Payne

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote:

NKP 9000-9467 and 12000-12999 were originally 19000-19999 and
20000-20999 series cars built in 1923 and 1924. Both series were
double wood sheathed with 10' wide 1-1/2 wood doors; the 1923 cars
had > inverse 4-panel Hutchins ends, the 1924 cars had 5-5-6 inverse
corrugated ends. In the early 1930s, delivery of steel auto cars
rendered these cars obsolete as auto cars so they had their
auxiliary doors either secured shot or removed entirely, making them
single door cars.

<snip for brevity>

Richard Hendrickson