Re: Images: Loading Barrels Into A Boxcar

James Eckman

Posted by: "Tim O'Connor"
Years ago I read that liquor boxes had a corner "punch out"
that longshoremen could break and remove a single bottle from
each case. This was done so they wouldn't break open the
whole case or steal it altogether.
I was too young to get the exact details of such goings on. I just heard longshoremen relatives talking about it. Interesting thought though, has anybody else ever heard of such a thing? I was always under the impression that whole cases fell off the crane and disappeared to be properly shared out later.

Jim Eckman