Re: Images: Loading Barrels Into A Boxcar

W.R.Dixon

James Eckman wrote:
Posted by: "Tim O'Connor"

Years ago I read that liquor boxes had a corner "punch out"
that longshoremen could break and remove a single bottle from
each case. This was done so they wouldn't break open the
whole case or steal it altogether.
I was too young to get the exact details of such goings on. I just heard longshoremen relatives talking about it. Interesting thought though, has anybody else ever heard of such a thing? I was always under the impression that whole cases fell off the crane and disappeared to be properly shared out later.
Jim Eckman
In pallet load shipments it was quite common for the top center box to end up empty. That was the case when I briefly worked for a shirt importer one summer.

Bill Dixon