Re: Turning Boxcars Into Tank Cars


boyds1949 <E27ca@...>
 

Guy,

Thanks.

I will only add that both B&O cars were in the B&O Summary of
Equipment books dated 1-1-44 and 1-1-45. Neither were in the
Summary of Equipment dated January 1, 1946.

John King

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, guycwilber@... wrote:


In a message dated 9/18/2007 5:28:55 PM Central Daylight Time,
thecitrusbelt@... writes:

Does anyone know more about these cars and how successful they
were?



From The Archives:


A small number of railroads converted box cars into "tank" cars by
adding
storage tanks into the body of the car during WW2. The AAR's Tank
Car
Committee
was charged with overseeing the performance of these conversions.
All, save
one, were authorized to haul only fuel oils and all were used only
in company
service.

The Pennsylvania converted x31 69741 with the use of six
compartments (cells)
fabricated of material composed of two layers of balloon cloth
between layers
of type FA Thiocol. The car was used to haul No. 3 fuel oil between
Floreffe, Pennsylvania and the Pennsy engine house at Harrisburg
(268
miles).
The car
made a total of 17 trips between October 30, 1942 and December 26,
1943. The
car, plagued with leakage problems, was dismantled and returned to
regular
service in March of 1944.

The Santa Fe divided the body of box car 118032 into four
compartments
constructed by the Flexitank Corporation. The car was assigned to
between
Lockport,
Illinois and the Round House in Chicago (33 miles). The car was
used to
transport Diesel fuel oil. Between June 10. 1943 and March 31,
1944 the car
made
a total of 60 trips and was withdrawn from service in April, 1944.
The report
notes that the car experienced slight leaks on all but two trips.

SERX, formerly DT&I auto cars; 13052, 13096, 13208 and 13224 were
equipped
with four Flexitanks (similar to the Santa Fe car). The four cars
were loaded
with fuel oil at Port Author, Texas on June 10, 1943 with 9,400 of
fuel oil.
The cars were moved to Gulfport, NY on June 20, 1943. The cars
made only one
additional trip and were returned to Flexitank during October,
1943 for
restoration to original configuration.

B&O box car 390000, the car featured in the LOC collection, was
equipped by
the railroad with four steel lined wooden tanks with suitable
piping and
venting for overhead loading and bottom unloading. The car was
used between
Baltimore and Washington hauling Diesel oil. Between February 23,
1943 and
January
30, 1944 the car made 43 trips transporting a total of 510,284
gallons of
fuel
-- loads ranged from 9,777 and 12, 238 gallons. The tanks were
damaged during
trip two and were replaced. As of June, 1945 the car was still in
service.

B&O box car 390050 was converted by the railroad on utilizing
(five)
corrugated steel tanks constructed by Youngstown Steel Door
Company. The
experimental
car was designed to handle higher flash point petroleum products --
the tanks
were designed to have a 2% expansion dome. The car was subjected
to numerous
impact tests under order of the AAR's Tank Car Committee. The
tests were
conducted By Youngstown on April 20, 1943. The car was placed in
service on
May
6, 1943. Reports furnished covered a total of 36 loaded trips, a
total of
457,503 gallons of petroleum products having a flash point above
110 degrees
(Fahrenheit). The car was declared a success and recommended as a
suitable
substitute should more "emergency" cars be required. The car was
still in
service
as of June, 1945.

In addition to the box car conversions there were several
experiments
performed on air activated cement containers converted to handle
fuel oils.
Such
containers exhibited few problems and 100 (five per car) sets were
approved
and
still in service as of June, 1945. No specific railroads are
listed as
operating the design within the AAR reports.

Regards,

Guy Wilber
Sparks, Nevada




************************************** See what's new at
http://www.aol.com


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.