Re: ORER Help -- CV blister side hoppers

armprem

To compound the felony,not all panels on some of the cars were replaced with blisters at the same time.There is photographic evidence showing cars with a combination of panels.This may suggest that as a panel rusted out it was repaired by a blister .Thus the capacity of cars had to vary.I strongly suspect that when the CV reverted to flat panels they were welded in place rather than riveted.Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
From: "cvsne" <mjmcguirk@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 11:16 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: ORER Help -- CV blister side hoppers

Dick,

I know that by 1951 there was only one car listed with the blister panels -- but I've always
thought half the hoppers were rebuilt with blister sides.

This is what John Riddell showed in his article in RMC (10/96) --

man, a simple little modeling project to have a couple of modified PRR GLs to park under
the White River coal tower has turned into a real mystery . . .

See you at the convention next weekend?

Marty

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Dermody <ddermody@...> wrote:

Marty,

The July 1947 ORER paints a little bit different picture.

It lists two lines for CV hoppers;

Line 4 is Hopper, Twin, Steel panel sides, series 20000 to 20199, cu
ft 1769, 185 cars.

Line 5 is Hopper, Steel, Twin, series 20000 to 20199, cu ft 1680, 10
cars.

Note B to the hoppers is as follows:

Note B - Individual numbers of cars in series 20000 to 20199 equipped
with straight sides and differing in cubical capacity from other cars
in same series; capacity 1,680 cu. ft.: 20031 20077 20078 20094 20109
20115 20136 20145 20179 20191.

So it seems that in 1947, the majority (185) of the hoppers were
panel (blister) side while 10 were straight side, but by your 1951
ORER the numbers had essentially reversed so only 10 cars remained
with panel sides.

Dick

On Sep 23, 2007, at 8:42 AM, Martin McGuirk wrote:

I'm trying to pull together some details on the Central Vermont's
twin hoppers for a clinic I'm presenting at the CV Historical
Society. I know a number (100) of these cars got blister side panels
installed in the mid-to late 1930s -- what I don't know is if the
ORER listing for the the late 1930s and early 1940s list the cars by
number. Ideally I'd like to find a list of the cars numbers converted
-- these would show up in the ORER with a 1,769 cu. ft. capacity.
The ORERs I have in my collection either pre-date or postdate these
cars. (By 1951 all but 10 had been converted back to flat panel
sides. Can anyone help out -- perhaps scan the CV pages from an ORER?

Thanks in advance,

Marty

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links