Re: Athearn Boxcars need Reworking

Tim O'Connor

Paul, yes, I know. That's why I wrote "plastic kit". Many things
are possible using resin parts and/or kitbashing...

At 9/23/2007 12:10 PM Sunday, you wrote:

Tim,

You can build the IC, SOO and DSS&A cars with a Sunshine Mini Kit and a IM 10'-6" boxcar kit. However, if you want to be dead accurate model you are stuck with an IC car as the other two require a Klasing brake wheel. Oh, what an SP modeler would give for a Klasing wheel in HO.

Paul Lyons
Laguna Niguel, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@comcast.net>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 9:43 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Athearn Boxcars need Reworking

The Athearn 40' steel box has some dimensional problems. It represents
10'6" cars owned by IC, SOO, and DSS&A. With new doors, door tracks and
Detail Associates 5/5 S-corner ends, you can really improve on it. There
is no other plastic kit for this particular prototype. The Intermountain
car represents the more widely owned cars with W-corner post ends.

Many cars were 10'4" IH, but I'm not sure all of them were different from
10'6" IH cars on the outside. There can be differences in floor boards or
just a particular railroad's way of measuring the IH may be stricter than
others. Some roads listed 10'0" IH cars as 9'11" IH... Use the extreme
height of the cars to figure out how tall they were compared to others.

Tim O'

I understand the Athearn prototype is of a limited 1937 production run,
but I'd like to keep the ones I have running and looking more
prototypical.

Hi Eric,
The old Athearn boxcars are a scale 10' 4" in height. I'm thinking of using
some of mine to model a few Delaware & Hudson 10' 4' cars. I'm not that far
along in the project to know what ends, doors or roofs I will need, but if
you're interested in D&H let me know and I'll check. Walt