Re: HO FGE Wood bodied Reefer Kits & Universal brakes

boyds1949 <E27ca@...>

Bruce,

There is a drawing in the 1940 CBC of the of the 1928 car as it was
originally built. According to the drawing the width of the body
over the side sheathing as 9'4". The IM car is about 9' 4 1/2" which
is pretty close to being correct.

The drawing shows the length of the body over the end sheathing as
40' 11 5/8". The IM car is very close, if not exactly, the correct
length over the sheathing.

The eaves height of a built up car is very close to the 12' 10 5/8
(or 12' 11" as on Martin's box) of the post war rebuilds, so the car
definitely represents the post war rebuilds.

Bill commented that the roof is too narrow. I agree. The drawing in
the 1940 Cyc still has the original roof so no conclusions can be
reached concerning the roof overhang from the drawing. When you
compare the modernized roof on a Sunshine model with photos it
certainly "looks" right, because it has the pronounced overhang. I
don't have a drawing of the modernized roof so I don't know how much
the overhang should be. This is unscientific at best, but photos
taken on a sunny day show the shadow of the roof overhang and the
shadows of the grab irons to be about the same length, that would
lead me to think the overhang should be around 2 1/2 inches, The
overhang on the IM car is much less. Also, the ORER shows the
outside width at eaves on this series of cars to be 10' 1/4"; that
would also "unofficially" lead me to think that the roof overhang
should be around 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 inches. The roof on the IM car is
about 9'7 or 9' 8" wide. If the ORER number is correct, that
missing 2 inches on each side is the difference that is the problem.

For what it's worth, the original roof (as built before the
modernized roofs were applied) was not as wide as the modernized
roof.

John King