Re: [SPAM] RE: Re: Shaping/bending styrene.

Schuyler Larrabee

From Jack Burgess

I'm getting off topic on this response but the comment by Dennis reminded me
of how a contractor working on one of the public projects I was in charge of
handled a "curved" wall. In order to break up a long hallway, the architect
designed the wall as a "wave" (appropriate since this was a indoor swim
center). The curves were about 5' radius curves. The contractor built a form
with this radius, laid a panel of sheetrock on it, and thoroughly wet it
with a garden hose. The next morning, the sheetrock had dried with the same
curvature as the form. (This might be a way to cove corners in a layout
room.)

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com

Yes, Jack, this works very well for backdrop construction. At the North Shore Model Railroad Club,
all but the original backdrops are done with 3/8" drywall, made wet flat on the floor, and lifted in
place (with appropriate preliminary cuts to clear pipes, conduit and other impedimentia) and screwed
to upright supports ranging from 2x4s to 1x1s. After a few days they dried nicely, and painted just
as well as any wall. It doesn't take a ton of water, really only a painting on with a house brush
on one side. We lost a sheet to an overenthusiastic helper who dumped a five-gallon bucket of water
on it. >8^l

Incidentally, I've had fun with this professionally, as an architect, explaining to drywall guys how
to do it. I've been met with disbelief on the job, but in general they've come around to try it.
In one case, I thought I was going to have to demonstrate for them. This is all the more surprising
because it's in USG's handbook.

SGL