Re: gondola interiors

cj riley <cjriley42@...>

When I worked in the fabricating shops of Levinson Steel (Pittsburgh) one
summer in the '60s, There was considerable crap in every car I helped to load.
I have also seen high angle photos of open cars in earlier eras that were also
quite dirty, That is the basis of my modeling.

CJ Riley

--- Ted Schnepf <railsunl@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I honestly believe this gondola dirty floor subject is being
overdone. In scrap yard service it is true with magnet loading and
unloading dirt does build up on the floor.

In the classic era, gons in coal, aggregate and mineral service would
be cleaned before loading, as the shipper did not want his product
contaminated. All railroads had cleaning tracks for such work. Many
coal mines cleaned cars on the empty side of the mine prior to
with shovels before release.

Ted

At 09:42 PM 10/9/2007, you wrote:

ED,

I have put debris in most of my gons. Dirt, weeds, rust scraps, a few ferns,
left over wood blocking. Almost anything could be in there, Standard scenery
techniques were used.

CJ Riley

10/7/2007 10:24 AM
Rails Unlimited
Ted Schnepf
railsunl@sbcglobal.net
847-697-5353 or 5366
126 Will Scarlet
Elgin, Ill. 60120
http://RailsUnlimited.ribbonrail.com/

Model Railroad Sales and Service with
a personal touch.
Books new and used. HO and O scales.
DCC supplies. O scale urethane cars.
Photos and darkroom services.
Checks, cash (0%) or credit (secure server at web site 4% added).

8:43 AM

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658