From: "Ted Schnepf" <railsunl@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Wednesday, 10 October, 2007 17:55
Subject: Re: [STMFC] gondola interiors

Hi everyone,
I honestly believe this gondola dirty floor subject is being overdone. In scrap yard service it is true with magnet loading and unloading dirt does build up on the floor.
In the classic era, gons in coal, aggregate and mineral service would be cleaned before loading, as the shipper did not want his product contaminated. All railroads had cleaning tracks for such work. Many coal mines cleaned cars on the empty side of the mine prior to loading. Also many gons at the receiving end were cleaned by laborers with shovels before release.
Ted