Re: Car travel

destron@...

Bruce and Ben, thanks for the info.

I mentioned the Canadian example mainly because that was the first that
came to mind; I'm actually modeling South Carolina in 1951. However,
wanting to have a few Canadian cars present for the sake of modeling
something 'closer to home: where can I find information regarding the
rules governing international movement of cars?

Also: has there ever been lists made of who the various SHPX/UTLX/GATX
tanks were leased out to?

Frank Valoczy
Vancouver, BC

Frank Valoczy wrote:
"I know boxcars got everywhere imaginable - I have a photo from the
early 1960s of a Florida East Coast boxcar behind a BC Hydro Railway
locomotive in New Westminster - but what about other types of cars?
I assume things like ore cars wouldn't venture too far from their
home roads (or perhaps more likely, certain lines on their home
roads). To variegate the rolling stock collection, I'd like to add
non-boxcar types from foreign roads, perhaps distant ones, too, but
am not certain as to what travelled how far from home. Any insight
would be very appreciated."
Ben replied:

Frank, the short answer is as follows:

- Flat cars and gons, though not as plentiful as boxcars, generally
shared similar use patterns with the exception of specially equipped
cars.

- Cars in coal service tended to be limited to specific regions.
Some cars are found far from home, but to far less an extent than
boxcars.
I'll add:
Tank cars - After WWII, most of these were used in the delivery of
refined products or chemicals. Road names were almost exclusively
private and shipments were mostly local to regional.

Stock cars - Depending on the season, these could get quite far from
home. PRR cars on the left coast and UP, ATSF & GN etc on the right
coast were not unheard of. In addition to hauling stock for a
variety of reasons, these were used to haul other cargoes out of season.

Reefers - Again, mostly private. However, these cars traveled
nationwide. Originating roads for cargos often had fairly biased
fleets (e.g. UP and SP almost all PFE, ATSF almost all SFRD) however
terminating roads often had a mix. In addition, related companies
like FGE/WFE/BRE pooled reefers to cover different harvests so you
were likely to see BRE reefers in Georgia and FGE reefers in the
Pacific NW.

You mention a Canadian example - if you are modeling Canada, the
issue is very much more complicated due to the issues of
international travel of cars.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith