Re: Car travel

jim peters

Michael,

It would surprise me if you had seen a lot of Mexican cars in California . . . The furthest western conncetion of the NdeM with the US rail system was at El Paso, Texas. The FCP (ex SPdeM) interchanged at Nogalos, Arizona. The Sonora-Baja California (S-BC) was not completed until December 1947 and connected with the SP at Mexicali at the lower end of the Imperial Valley.

We are discussing the 1940's and 50's and most of the trade with Mexico during this period would have been with the industrialized areas of New York, Pennsylvania and the Great Lakes.
Have a great day,

Jim Peters
Coquitlam, BC

To: STMFC@yahoogroups.comFrom: goldrod_1@yahoo.comDate: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:57:54 -0700Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: Car travel

Thank you for the info, it really helps. Living in the West/Southwest for most of my life I do not recall see that many Mexico railroad cars. The one place I did see them was at a shingle lumber mill in Santa Ana, CA in the 70s ( I know that date is beyond the scoop of the group). But even in photos taken in the 40s and 50s there are a lot of Canadian road names, just not that many from Mexico. Michaeljim peters <mikado2206@hotmail.com> wrote:Michael,Yes, the same rule did hold true. As to how much traffic came north from Mexico I can not answer your question with regards to the late 40's or 1950's; but . . . In the early stages of World War II, the United States realized that Mexico as well as the rest of Latin America could furnish key materials required for the war effort. The Mexican government could not deliver the quantity of materials at the rate they were required with its railway system rundown and still trying to recover from the effects of the revolution. With negotiations between the two countries the UNITED STATES RAILWAY MISSION TO MEXICO was developed.Sponsored by the Institute of Inter-American Transportation, a subsidiary of the Office of Inter-American Affairs (OIAA) and headed by Nelson A. Rockefeller, the mission greatly increased the ability of the Ferrocarriles Nacionales de Mexico (NdeM) to safely carry large amounts of supplies, especially to the United States. By the end of 1942 this essential traffic north reached an estimated 1,300,000 tons.As a special note, the mission was the first massive American technical assistance program to a foreign country and as a measure of its success was instrumental in the development of the Marshall Plan of 1948.Maybe others have additional information, when added to this could better answer your question.You have a good day,Jim PetersCoquitlam, BCTo: STMFC@yahoogroups.comFrom: goldrod_1@yahoo.comDate: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 01:18:41 -0700Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Car travelWould this rule hold true for cars that came from Mexico? And how much traffic did come Mexico in the 40s and 50s?Michael BishopRuss Strodtz <railfreightcars@19main.com> wrote:Bruce,Interesting rule. How was it enforced before the days of computersystems?Russ> > As for Canadian cars, the rules were pretty simple. IIRC, they could > travel to the US with Canadian cargo. They could not, in general, > travel between points in the US with domestic lading. I'm pretty > sure that they could also return to Canada loaded.>>> Regards> Bruce> > Bruce F. Smith> Auburn, AL---------------------------------Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase. __________________________________________________________Send a smile, make someone laugh, have some fun! Start now!http://www.freemessengeremoticons.ca/?icid=EMENCA122__________________________________________________Do You Yahoo!?Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com