From: "ed_mines" <ed_mines@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 12:57 PM
Subject: [STMFC] gondola interiors

Were gondola interiors ever cleaned? I think debris would accumulate
for many years before it was discarded.

For many high side, fixed end gons you would have to throw debris
over a side almost as tall as you were.

You couldn't sweep out drop bottom gons. The ends usually drop down
inside the car.

Were the interiors of mill gons painted? Mill products wouldn't do
much scratching.How about regular gons?

Has anyone ever seen a puddle in a gon or a picture of a gon? There
are no holes for drainage.

How about weeds growing? I think that the many Seaboard composite
gons were used to haul stumps to be made into turpentine. Certainlt
soil would was off when it rained.

In the era when most exposed steel rusted I can understand why some
railroads would order wood floors.

What do you guys use as debris in your models?

Where steel bands used in the steam era?

Ed

Yahoo! Groups Links