Scale Cars

John S. Frantz

Listers,

First off, this will be my first post. I joined this past week. Over the past two years I've narrowed down my modeling to a very specific area and era to the point I've been Ebaying what doesn't fit, and check build dates on cars. So my stats? I'm planning on modeling the PRR's Northern Central in the 1940's between York and New Freedom, and if room would permit, go as far North as York Haven and as far south as Blue Mount/White Hall, MD. The biggest steam engine allowed on the line due to curves was an L1s 2-8-2, though ironically the Centipedes ran on it when they were in passenger service. This is my ultimate goal, at this point I still live at home and i'm the ripe old age of 23. In addition to the PRR I really like the Wild Mary, Ma & PA and most other Eastern Roads.

So, now that that's out of the way. I was wondering if anybody has really pushed the envelope in modeling/operations when it comes to track scales/scale cars. Unfortunatey right now there are no scale car models out there, the Walthers still floats around but is only "eh" in my opinion. The Stewart Products kits can be found occasionally, and are the best, second only to the Hallmark and Overland renditions.

I'm wondering if naybody has modeled a scale car, and if so, with a scale house has used in model railroad operations for "checking" scales. Additionally, does anyone use a track scale as a fully-integrated part of operating and had cars "weighed" as part of the movement on a layout.

Any responses would be appreciated. Right now I'm working on some scale house modeling projects and was curious to see what others have done.

Thanks for any responses.

Best Regards,
John

York, PA

York, PA
Crossroads of the Pennsylvania Railroad, Maryland & Pennsylvania and Western Maryland Railroads.