Re: Air Hoses - what to do ---

Tom Madden <tgmadden@...>

John Hitzeman wrote:
One of the most remarkable things I've seen is what Dave Davis
has done. He made a little punch in the form of a glad hand and
punches them from thin kitchen magnets. Then he uses the
no-sag thread from Walthers High Tension Tower kits to make
the hose. With the magnet on one end, and the other end of the
hose ACC'd to the angle cock, the hose hangs down at
Denny's prototype angle. But, when the cars are being coupled,
the magnets attract each other and, as if by magic, the
hoses couple by themselves, yielding a prototype appearance
as the train passes by.
Not to be picky, John, over what appears to be a brilliant technique,
but wouldn't there be, at best, a 50:50 chance that the magnets would
repel each other? Those thin magnets are polarized across the faces,
so glad hand-shaped discs punched from them would be as well. If the
discs can be attached to the Walthers thread facing either way, you
get your 50:50 chance. If they can only be attached one way, they
would always repel. Or am I missing something???

Tom Madden