Re: Car travel

Russ Strodtz <railfreightcars@...>

Malcom,

A few points:

On the CB&Q all cars were supposed to move on individual waybills.
There were pads of "Slip Bills" available for empty cars and there was
only supposed to be one car on each slip bill. It was not considered
acceptable to use the waybills of whatever form received from the
connecting carrier. Only exception there would be tank cars or
similar moves.

I find your "System of Trust" rather interesting. I think we are talking
about exactly the same thing. The foundation of that "Trust" was that
if the GST's office put out instructions they would be followed. Isn't
that the way it was on the NYC?

Training of Yard Clerks? Who did that? All the training I ever got was
before I became an Employee. There was minimal on the job training.
Most of such training was simply instructions on how things were done
and an emphasis that everything needed to be done the same way it
was always done.

I will acknowledge that the policy of retaining all foreign 40ft box car,
(with a few special exceptions), gradually died off during the 60's.
That is beyond the scope of this group. The reason it died off was that
starting with the C&NW the Railroads finally "broke" the Grain Inspection
track system. In the case of the CB&Q at Cicero the two 120 car tracks
with a road between them was turned over to the Intermodal people who
badly needed space. As to the country elevators in Northern and Western
Illinois they now seldom loaded anything by rail. With the Grain Inspection
Track system gone they had to market their product in a different manner.
Now those branch lines are gone as are most of the elevators.

As to cars from Canada the NYC had direct connections with both
Canadian roads. The CB&Q did not.

You say you were involved in car distribution. Did you ever move empty
cars away from points where they could be loaded? Sounds like that is
what you are advocating.

What else can I say?

Russ