Cullet

MOFWCABOOSE@...

I don't know about the 1940s, but I remember seeing a photo article in
Popular Science sometime in the early 1950s depicting a cullet plant, in California
I believe, showing how the stuff was crushed, metals removed, and then the
glass was washed and tumbled to remove sharp edges, picked over by hand to remove
any foreign objects the magnets had missed, and finally loaded into hopper
cars or trucks.

I suspect that any coloring agents would have been removed when the cullet
was melted in the furnaces, much as carbon and trace additives are removed when
scrap iron and steel are melted...the additives unite with the limestone to
form slag, which is removed, thus leaving pure iron.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL

See what's new at
http://www.aol.com