Re: Cullet

Dave Nelson

MOFWCABOOSE@... wrote:
I don't know about the 1940s, but I remember seeing a photo article
in Popular Science sometime in the early 1950s depicting a cullet
plant, in California I believe, showing how the stuff was crushed,
metals removed, and then the glass was washed and tumbled to remove
sharp edges, picked over by hand to remove any foreign objects the
magnets had missed, and finally loaded into hopper cars or trucks.

Here in central California there were several glass container plants in
Oakland, no doubt providing some combination of packing jars, beverage
bottles, and ordinary table glassware, all of which would have found ready
markets very close at hand. There isn't any suitable sand anywhere nearby
tho... the closest that I know of was very fine beach sand near Monterey...
quite a ways to be shipping sand. So my guess is they used a lot of cullet,
which would have been fairly easy to come by in an urban area.

I wonder if that was par-for-the-course in cities that lacked the right
quality sand?

============

A story about cullet that I read somewhere: A local glass installation
company, Cobbledick-Kibbe (C-K), provided plate and window glass to large
office buildings under construction in San Francisco and neighboring cities.
Somehow the Western Pacific convinced C-K to try their service (instead of
just SP all of the time) and receive the glass at the WP depot in Oakland.
But there was some reason why DF boxcars wouldn't work, so WP specified the
large plate glass be carefully loaded and shipped in gondolas (covered w/
canvas); on arrival in Oakland, C-K inspectors pulled back the canvas and
found all 4 gons filled w/ cullet. Needless to say, C-K continued to do
business with the SP.

Dave Nelson