Re: Cullet

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

John C. La Rue, Jr. wrote:
I suspect that any coloring agents would have been removed when the cullet was melted in the furnaces, much as carbon and trace additives are removed when scrap iron and steel are melted...the additives unite with the limestone to form slag, which is removed, thus leaving pure iron.
I forgot to mention, lest there be any confusion, that this is NOT what happens when scrap steel is remelted. You don't get anything like "pure iron," but simply the net of the alloying contents in the scrap. Some impurities can be slagged off, but scrap is usually segregated as to approximate alloy content (and is considerably less valuable if not segregated), just so that the sometimes complex and subtle adjustment of alloy content does not have to be done on a very big scale.
I think John is confusing remelting of scrap, with production from raw materials.

Anthony Thompson
Dept. of Materials Science & Engineering
University of California, Berkeley
thompsonmarytony@...